While we often associate acne with faces, faces are not the only places where acne can appear. Acne results from pores clogged with sebum, dirt and dead skin cells. As such, any body part that has oil glands or hair follicles can result in acne. Bacne– or back acne– is a common condition where acne develops on your back. Just like any acne, bacne can cause discomfort and even make one feel self-conscious. Here is everything you should know about bacne and how you can treat them.
Types of back acne
Body and back acne can have different forms and are similar to the various types of acne found on our faces. These are some of the more common types of acne you may encounter:
- Whiteheads: Also known as closed comedones, whiteheads develop when a follicle gets clogged and stays under the skin.
- Blackheads: Unlike whiteheads, blackheads are open comedones– exposure to the air darkens the comedones making them appear black.
- Papules: Papules are small pink bumps when hair follicles get inflamed and do not contain pus.
- Pustules: Pustules are commonly referred to as pimples– a reddened papule filled with pus due to the buildup of white blood cells.
- Nodules: These are also inflamed hair follicles, but inflammation is much deeper, forming a larger, painful bump under the skin.
- Cysts: These are pus-filled pimples infected by bacteria. They tend to be painful, and the infection and inflammation are deeper, meaning there is a higher chance of scarring.
Causes of back acne
Like all kinds of acne, there can be many different causes, and these causes are often similar to facial acne. Some of these causes include genetics, hormones, stress and poor hygiene. Skin regions with sebaceous glands produce sebum– the buildup of sebum, dead skin cells and dirt all contribute to acne.
Prevention of back acne
While back acne is not entirely preventable, you can take precautions to reduce the intensity of the acne. Ensure proper hygiene by keeping your body clean and dry and ensuring that your clothes are changed after sweating. Avoid tight-fitting clothing and opt for clothes that absorb or wick sweat. If you are on medication, check with your doctor if your medicine, such as corticosteroids, is causing back acne.
Treatment for back acne
Treatment for mild back acne can be done at home. Firstly, do not squeeze the pimples or the skin, as this can result in scarring or hyperpigmentation. Use a non-comedogenic body wash and avoid scrubbing with harsh body wash as it may worsen the acne. You can also use appropriate skincare products for acne skin, such as BeKind’s Microsilver Acne Treatment. Powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory ingredients such as microsilver is added to the cream which has been proven to fight acne without compromising your skin’s natural barrier. If you are facing acne issues on the back, it is recommended that you visit My Cozy Room Facial Spa for our award-winning back treatments, which includes our signature extractions to remove blackheads and acne on your back.
Back acne can be uncomfortable and distressing for those who struggle with it. If you are experiencing back acne, we are here for you. My Cozy Room Facial Spa has a team of professional skin therapists and offers back acne treatment in Singapore.
Watch My Cozy Room Facial Spa’s video on how they provide the best backne treatments for you !
Book a bacial or award-winning facial treatment with us today!
In addition to facial treatments, we offer body treatments known as “bacials” or “back facials”. Known for the Best Extraction Facial in Singapore, My Cozy Room has also attained several awards such as Daily Vanity Beauty Treatment Awards 2022 and Women’s Weekly Spa Awards 2022, along with receiving many great online reviews from happy customers.
For first-time customers in Singapore, try out our award-winning Premium Diamond Peel Bacial today at 50% off (U.P. $298, 90 min) now!